G̱alts’abim Lax̱ Anhlo’o - Village of Lax̱ Anhlo’o

Painting of Ging̱olx
1868 Painting of Lax̱ Anhlo’o

1868 Painting of Nisg̱a’a House Front in Lax̱ Anhlo’o
1868 Painting of Nisg̱a’a House Front in Lax̱ Anhlo’o

Sim w̓ii lay̓im g̱alts’aphl Lax̱-Anhlo’o ahl 1800. Hagwin-dilpkw ahl g̱agigeenihl Ank’idaa lax̱-ḵ’aphl ts’eets’iks g̱ageets’ihl Lisims.Ts’axwhl g̱abiihl G̱anadahl jog̱at loot. Ni’isjoohl g̱ans Ax̱hlaawaalshl g̱a sim’oogidit loot. Nidii n̓akw wil t’aat ahl Ginluulaḵ’.

Nidii kw’ihl ts’axwhl g̱abiihl t’amtgwit dimt an mahlihl wilaa jabihl Anhlo’o. Ii ḵ’am gwilksḵ’alt’amkw peentdihl an n̓ii- w̓ahl g̱alts’ap, iit gwinga’adihl g̱abiihl sim huwilp. K’il̓hl sim wilphl hitgwit wil n̓ii-t’aahl w̓ii g̱aaḵ ii ksi-heetkwhl hli ts’aḵt ahl hli g̱ooḵhl wilp n̓i wil luu-joḵs Ni’isjoohl sim’oogitkwhl G̱anada.

Lax̱-Anhlo’o siwatkwshl wil y̓ag̱a-hlo’ohl sg̱an̓ist.Kw’ootkwhl Lax̱-Anhlo’o ahl ligii 1800, wil g̱al ts’axwhl pdaalhl aks.

Lax̱-Anhlo’o was a large village in the 1800s located a short distance above Ank’idaa on a point of land on the south side of the Nass River. It was mainly inhabited by members of the Raven tribe, and its principal chiefs were Ni’isjoohl and Ax̱hlaawaals. It is believed to have been located close to the village of Ginluulaḵ’.

Few historical notes exist to describe Lax̱ Anhlo’o, but a painting of the village by an early explorer of the Nass River clearly shows a number of longhouses situated on the point, including one longhouse with a giant raven’s beak extending from the house front, believed to be the house of the Raven chief Ni’isjoohl.

Lax̱-Anhlo’o means “on the avalanche place”. The name refers to the village’s proximity to the mountain slide area of the mountain called Anhlo’o, which is situated behind the village and visible in the painting. Lax̱-Anhlo’o disappeared in the late 1800s, likely due to frequent flooding at that location