Lugum Sooḵ’

Sim’oogit: Lax̱wilgit
Pdeeḵ: Lax̱gibuu
Wiln̓aat’ahl: Gitwiln̓aak’iĺ, Gitwiluuyaxw
Wilp: Gyilwilnakyee Gitwiln̓aak’il̓
Miinhl Gihlee’e: Sgat’iin
Gan̓agwit: Nidii wilaakst
K’uuhl wil gahlkwt: 1870

Adoḵs w̍itkwt hli ts’iw̍int:

N̓ii-t’aahl sooḵ’ lax̱-no’ohl gat:
Hitkwhl smax hli miint ii t’ipx̱aathl smax hli lax̱’ut ii luuhlgim n̍ii-hitkwhl k’eegwihl smax lax̱’ut wat ahl x̱balim gat. Gat ii smax hli ḵ’apt.

Ts’uu gilp’il wil k’ap gageets’ihl wil gisi-maḵskwhl pts’aan g̱agiiksihl g̱alts’aphl Gitlax̱t’aamiks. Lugum sooḵ’ ahl g̱alksi-wilp. Huxwdii tḵ’al- kw’ootkwhl pts’aan tgun g̱ooḵhl 1927. Huxwdii tḵ’al-hukskw ahl pts’aanhl kw’itkw’ootgwit hlidaa yukwhl yeehl x̱haykwshl am’aamit1918 g̱anhl hlag̱ats’uuhl pts’aanhl g̱alts’ap.

Packing Robins

Chief: Lax̱wilgit
Tribe: Wolf
Clan: Gitwilnaak’il̓, Gitwiluuyaxw
House: Gyilwilnakyae Gitwiln̓aak’il̓
Carver: Sg̱at’iin
Height: unknown
Year: 1870

Crest figures from top to bottom:

Person with Robin on his shoulder
Bear at bottom, with two bears above, one on top of the other. One of the bears was called X̱’palemgat, meaning Half Person, half bear.

Travelling downriver past Gitlax̱t’aamiks, the pole of Packing Robins Out Through the House stood twentieth in line along the river front. This pole disappeared before 1927: it was likely cut down and destroyed during the Christian religious revival at Gitlax̱t’aamiks in 1918 along with many other poles in the village.

Historical Pictures of Packing Robins (click for larger image)

Pole of Lax'wilgit Thumbnail imagePole of Lax'wilgit Thumbnail imagePole of Lax'wilgit Thumbnail imagePole of Lax'wilgit Thumbnail imagePole of Lax'wilgit Thumbnail image