Baahl X̱sgaak G̱anhl Hlbin

Sim’oogit: Minee’eskw
Pdeek: Lax̱sgiik
Wiln̓aat’ahl: Lax̱luuks
Wilp: Minee’eskw
Miinhl Gihlee’e: Oyee
G̱an̓agwit: 70 feet
K’uuhl wil gahlkwt: 1870s

Tx̱aa n̍ii-wantkwhl hlbin ahl pts’aan tgun. Hli ts’iw̍int wil n̍ii-wanhl adoḵs, ii hli miint, ii lax̱-hlbin w̓itkw hli ts’iw̍int ii t’ip-aḵhlkwt hli miint.

Baahl x̱sgaak hli ts’iw̍int
Plo’on, dax̱yukwdithl g̱abooḵ awa’ahl hli hlatsx̱hl hlbin
Hitkwhl gat hli miint hooyithl g̱aydim hlatsx̱a ul ahl t’img̱est.

Ts’uu xbiĺ di huxw tx̱alpx̱ ahl g̱a geets’ihl wil gisa-maḵskwhl pts’aan g̱agiiksihl g̱alts’abim Gitlax̱t’aamiks wil hitkwt. Hitkwhl pts’aan tgun, ga’ aag̱ahl wilps Minee’eskw, Huxwdii kw’ootkwhl pts’aan tgun hlaa yukwhl yeehl x̱haykwshl am’aamit ahl Gitlax̱t’aamiks 1918 g̱anhl hlag̱a ts’uuhl pts’aanhl maḵsgwit ahl g̱alts’aphl Gitlax̱t’aamiks.

Split Eagle and Whale

Chief: Minee’eskw
Tribe: Eagle
Clan: Lax̱luuks
House: Minee’eskw
Carver: Oyee
Height: 70 feet
Year: circa 1870s

The entire pole was carved to represent a whale. The following crest figures were carved above, below, and on the whale from top to bottom:

1. Split eagle at top
2. Otter holding a cockle near the tale of the whale
3. Person with a bear-claw crown at bottom

Travelling downriver past Gitlax̱t’aamiks, the Split Eagle and Whale pole stood fourteenth in line along the river front, in front of the Eagle house of Minee’eskw. This pole disappeared before 1927: it was likely cut down and destroyed during the Christian religious revival at Gitlax̱t’aamiks in 1918 along with many other poles in the village.

Historical Pictures of Split Eagle and Whale (click for larger image)

Split Eagle and Whale Pole  ThumbnailSplit Eagle and Whale Pole  ThumbnailSplit Eagle and Whale Pole  ThumbnailSplit Eagle and Whale Pole  ThumbnailSplit Eagle and Whale Pole  ThumbnailSplit Eagle and Whale Pole Thumbnail Split Eagle and Whale Pole Thumbnail