Pts̓aanim Smax

Sim’oogit: Gwingyoo
Pdeeḵ̱: Lax̱gibuu
Wiln̓aat’ahl: Gitwiln̓aak’il̓
Miinhl Gihlee’e: Bayt Neeḵhl
G̱an̓agwit: 40 feet
K’uuhl wil gahlkwt: 1860s

Hli gahlgwit w̍itkw hli ts’iw̍iint:

1. Gadim
2. Smax
3. Sgimsim
4. Smax
5. Smax

Ts’uu xlbiĺ di giip’il ahl wil gisa-maḵskwhl pts’aan g̱agiiksihl g̱altsaphl Gitlax̱t’aamiks. Gwingyoohl wilit ahl pts’aanim smax tgun. Hitkw g̱a’aag̱ahl sim wilphl wat ahl “N̍akw wil g̱alksi-ja jook hli ts’eew̍it”. (tgunhl anhihl wilp tgun. Dim jax̱jooḵ̱hl lamjax̱at loot g̱a n̍agwihl dim g̱alksi-hlo’odiit ahl wilp tgun) Huxwdii tḵ’al-kw’ootkwhl pts’aan tgun hlidaa x̱haykwshl am’aamit ahl Gitlax̱t’aamiks 1918 g̱anhl hlag̱ats’uuhl pts’aanhl maḵsgwit.

Pole of the Bear

Chief: Gwingyoo
Tribe: Wolf
Clan: Gitwiln̓aak’il̓
Carver: Bayt Neeḵhl
Height: 40 feet
Year: circa 1860s

Crest figures from top to bottom:

1. Person
2. Bear
3. Thunderbird
4. Bear
5. Bear

Travelling downriver past Gitlax̱t’aamiks, the Pole of the Bear belonging to Gwingyoo stood twelfth in line along the river front, in front of his long house, called “A Long Embarrassment Inside”. (The name of the house was intended to suggest that it was so long that guests would feel embarrassment as they walked its length inside.) This pole disappeared before 1927: it was likely cut down and destroyed during the Christian religious revival at Gitlax̱t’aamiks in 1918 along with many other poles in the village.

Historical Pictures of Pole of the Bear (click for larger image)

Pole of the Bear Thumbnail ImagePole of the Bear Thumbnail ImagePole of the Bear Thumbnail ImagePole of the Bear Thumbnail Image Pole of the BearPole of the BearPole of the Bear