Han̓ii G̱alaakhl Smax Lax̱̱ G̱an

Sim’oogit: K’eex̱kw
Pdeeḵ: Lax̱gibuu
Wiln̓aat’ahl: Gitwiln̓aak’il̓
Miinhl Gihlee’e: Nidii wilaakst
G̱an̓agwit: Nidii wilaakst
K’uuhl wil gahlkwt: 1850s

Wilaa jabihl ayukws: N̓ii-t’aat Lax̱-G̱an

1. X̱hlip-n̍ii t’aahl smax ts’iw̓inhl gan.

Ts’uu xbiĺ wil gisi-maḵskwhl pts’aan g̱agiiksihl g̱alts’abim Gitlax̱t’aamiks, n̍ii- t’aahl smax ts’iw̓inhl g̱an. Hitkw g̱a’aag̱ahl wilps K’eexkw wat ahl, “T’ḵa’am wilp lo’op”. Ḵ̱w’ootkwhl pts’aan tgun g̱ooḵhl 1927: Tḵ’al- t’ip- ḵ’otskw g̱anhl hlag̱ats’uuhl pts’aan yukwhl x̱haykwshl g̱asimutkwsit ahl Gitlax̱t’aamiks 1918. G̱anhl hlag̱a ts’uuhl pts’aan silakwsit.

Ksax̱ haxwhukw’iltgum g̱an: x̱hlip-n̍ii-t’aahl smax hli ts’iw̍int. Ansgim-g̱an tgun. Ansgihl w̍ahlin Sim’oogit k’eex̱kw.

Play Pole of the Bear

Chief: K’eex̱kw
Tribe: Wolf
Clan: Gitwiln̓aak’il̓
Carver: unknown
Height: unknown
Year: circa 1850s

Crest figures from top to bottom:

Plain round pole (gan) with a carved bear on top.

Travelling downriver past Gitlax̱t’aamiks, the Play Pole of the Bear stood tenth in line along the river front, in front of K’eex̱kw’s house, called “Terraced House of Stone”. This pole disappeared before 1927: it was likely cut down and destroyed during the Christian religious revival at Gitlax̱t’aamiks in 1918 along with many other poles in the village.

Plain round poles with single figures at top were usually memorial poles for past chiefs. This may have been a memorial pole for a past K’eeäkw.

Historical Pictures of Play Pole of the Bear (click for larger image)

Play Pole of the Bear Thumbnail ImagePlay Pole of the Bear Thumbnail ImagePlaypole of the Bear ThumbnailPlaypole of the Bear ThumbnailPlaypole of the Bear ThumbnailPlaypole of the Bear Thumbnail