ANCIENT VILLAGES AND TOTEM POLES OF THE NISG̱A'A

G̱alts’abim Gitlax̱’aws - Village of Gitlax̱’aws

Gitlax̱’aws, ligii, “gathl n̓ii-jog̱at lax̱’aws” n̓ihl hli g̱alts’aphl wiln̓aat’ahl Gitgigeenix ahl Lax̱gibuu. Nidii sim wilaakshl hli adaawag̱at. Ḵ̱’am wilaaxdiit wil t’aat lax̱-aws, lax̱-likst’aa ahl ḵ’alii-aks ahl Ank’idaa.

Wilaaxdiit wil sag̱alts’apkwhl Gitlax̱’aws ahl Andigwaalee ahl hli silkwhl 1800. N̓ihl wiln̓aat’ahls sim’oogit N̓agwaa’un ahl Lax̱gibuu. Nidii n̓akwt ii lukwhl hli gadihl Gitlax̱’aws ahl Lax̱g̱alts’ap(Greenville) ahl ligii 1900 wil wilt.

Gitlax̱’aws or “People who live on sand” was a village of the Gitgigeenix clan of the Wolf tribe. Very little is known about its history except that it was located on a sandy island upriver from Ank’idaa.

Gitlax̱’aws is believed to have been settled by the people of Andigwaalee in the second half of the 1800s – primarily the Gitgigeenix clan of the Wolf chief N̓agwaa’un. The people of Gitlax̱’aws later relocated to the missionary village of modern Lax̱g̱alts’ap (Greenville) around the turn of the 19th century.